Doug DeVos’s Quantum Racing team exorcised memories of a disappointing third overall in the 2017 season when they clinched top honours at the first event of the highly anticipated 2018 52 SUPER SERIES, the Sibenik 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week contested on Croatia’s beautiful Dalmatian Coast.
Lead by Terry Hutchinson with Dean Barker on the helm, Quantum Racing closed out the regatta title with a seventh in an eventful final light wind race to win by five points over Platoon, the team which were second overall last year. Reigning season champions Azzurra, winners of the warm up PalmaVela regatta finished fourth.
It is the first time that Quantum Racing have won a 52 SUPER SERIES regatta since they triumphed at Quantum Key West Regatta in January 2017, the curtain-raiser to last year’s six-event season.
Victory in the last race for Harm Muller-Spreer’s Platoon was enough to return them to runners up overall at the expense of Takashi Okura’s Sled. With the chance to secure second, which would have been their best ever regatta finish since joining the circuit in Ibiza at the end of the 2014 season, Sled fouled Paprec in the final seconds of the start sequence and had to immediately take a penalty.
They started off the line in 11th and could only recover to tenth and so Sled slid to third overall. It is the third time they have finished on the third step of a regatta podium after thirds in Miami in 2014, Valencia in 2015 and at the end of the 2016 season in Cascais.
Final Standings Sibenik 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week:
- Quantum Racing (USA) (Doug DeVos) (4,1,8,1,4,1,3,7) 29 points
2. Platoon (GER) (Harm Muller-Spreer) (1,4,3,5,7,3,10,1) 34
3. Sled (USA) (Takashi Okura) (12,3,1,8,3,2,2,10) 41
4. Azzurra (ARG/ITA) (Alberto Roemmers) (3,10,10,4,2,7,4,6) 46
5. Onda (BRA) (Eduardo de Souza Ramos) (2,7,5,3,10,6,8,5) 46
6. Luna Rossa (ITA) (Patrizio Bertelli) (7,5,9,9,5,4,7,3) 49
7. Alegre (USA/GBR) (Andrés Soriano) (9,8,6,2,8,8,6,4) 51
8. Phoenix (RSA) (Hasso/Tina Plattner) (8,6,11,6,6,11,5,2) 55
9. Provezza (TUR) (Ergin Imre) (5,9,4,7,12,9,1,9) 56
10. Paprec Recyclage (FRA) (Jean Luc Petithuguenin) (6,12,2,12,1,10,9,12) 64
11. Gladiator (GBR) (Tony Langley) (10(+2 PEN),2,7,11,9,5,12,8) 66
12. XIO Hurakan (ITA) (Marco Serafini) (11,11,12,10,11,12,11,11) 89