IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL SEA-GOING CREW:
New arrangements for verification of sea service testimonials for presentation to the MCA
As from 1st January 2017, the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency has introduced new arrangements regarding the verification of Sea Service Testimonials (SSTs) under UK flag jurisdiction.
The MCA is now shifting the important responsibility for verifying Sea Service Testimonials (SSTs) issued to all relevant seafarers in the superyacht sector away from the MCA’s staff.
For twenty-five years, the PYA has been approved by the MCA, using ISO quality management standards, to verify sea service recorded by its members in PYA Service Record Books. These documents are accepted by MCA normally without any further checking and provide a fast and efficient way to apply for an application for a Notice of Eligibility (NoE) or for a Certificate of Competence (CoC) revalidation.
The MCA is now expanding further the successful delegation of sea service verification services in the large yacht sector to suitably qualified outside organisations, including the PYA.
This announcement demonstrates the continued confidence the MCA has for the integrity of the existing PYA service.
The MCA has confirmed that if individual seafarers continue to submit un-verified SSTs directly to them, it will delay the issue of either a NoE or CoC significantly due to other priorities in administration processes. Therefore, the MCA strongly recommends that SSTs from the superyacht sector should be verified by the PYA prior to being submitted to the MCA.
The PYA will continue to provide a SST verification service (using the MCA-approved Service Record Book) as part of its membership benefits to members along with all the customary help, advice and supporting services. Certificate entry to the Service Record Book and annual SST verification are provided free of charge to all paid-up full PYA members.
For the first time, the PYA is now offering SST verification for non-members on a ‘pay as you go’ fee basis per SST application. The cost for this service will be €50 per Sea Service Testimonial with a minimum charge of €100.
The 2016 PYA Christmas Ball
The 2016 PYA Christmas Ball saw the attendance of more guests than ever before in the event’s history! We welcomed a mixture of young and old, crew and shore-based professionals, different nationalities, ball veterans and PYA party newbies! Many people said that the 2016 Ball was the best one ever, so let’s continue this trend for the 2017 event!
Upon arrival, the guests were able to have their photo taken by esteemed local photographer Alban Pichon against the backdrop of the beautiful Carlton Christmas tree. Everyone was thrilled that when they walked through to the drinks reception in la Côte Bar, a glossy print out of their photo was waiting for them to collect and take home. Drinks and a selection of delicate canapés ensued, whilst a live band played a sophisticated blend of jazz and soul music.
The guests were then shown to their tables in the grand ballroom, which had been beautifully decorated with festive flower arrangements designed by Azur Flowers. Sparkling wine (kindly provided by Riviera Wine) and a welcome toast from PYA Director of Training and Certification Joey Meen followed, after which a fantastic three course dinner was served to guests. Meanwhile, the superb Phly Boyz entertained us their unique style of high-energy acoustic music. The handmade crackers with gifts sponsored by Gourmet Deliveries added something extra special to the tables.
We had a fun photobooth where guests could play around with props and fancy dress in front of the camera, and take home a print out or upload the image directly to social media. The annual PYA Christmas raffle was a great success, with some brilliant prizes donated by our kind supporters.
The headline event of the evening was the ever-brilliant Blah Blah, who kept the dance floor crammed as we partied the night away until the small hours!
Thank you to all our guests for coming and making it the best PYA ball yet, and of course to our generous sponsors, without whom the event would not have been possible: Burgess, Horizons, Pantaenius, Gourmet Deliveries and Riviera Wine.
If your company would be interested in sponsoring the 2017 Christmas Ball (or any other PYA events), please contact Carey on email@example.com
A few comments from the happy guests:
- “The whole night was perfection. The best ever ball to date!!! Really well organized and worth every penny”
- “Thank you again SO much for the brilliant night last Friday – you really do know how to throw a great party, it was a great success and everyone I spoke to had a brilliant time!”
- “Thanks very much for organizing everything for the PYA Christmas Ball – we had an absolutely wonderful evening. Well done for putting on such a great party!”
- “Thanks for yet another fantastic and well organised Christmas Ball! We had a great time and hope for many more in the future!”
- “I just wanted to drop you a little email to say thank you for organising such a terrific PYA Ball on Friday, the organisation was fantastic from the timing, to the band and every little detail had been taken care of, it was great thank you! We really enjoyed it and will be delighted to keep supporting the PYA in the future.”
- “Thank you for putting on such a great evening! So much better than the last one I attended five years ago…well done”
- “Super party well done – and two great bands!”
- “Well done for putting on a great party last night – a huge success!”
- “Thank you so much, it was such a fun night”
- “Congratulations for The PYA Ball – it was as always a wonderful moment”
- “Thank you to you all for organising a great night!”
- “Thank you for the great party!”
- “It was an amazing evening, I had a lot of fun and it was a great party!”
- “Thanks for organising the PYA Ball, we had a great time!”