Apple cider vinegar is made from apple cider that has undergone fermentation to form health-promoting probiotics and enzymes, giving it significantly less sugar than apple cider or apple juice. Properties include being anti-bacterial and anti-microbial. It only takes one to two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar daily to take advantage of its health benefits, that include:
- The ability of apple cider vinegar to help maintain normal blood sugaris one of the most well-studied benefits, also it may increase insulin sensitivity. Insulin is the hormone responsible for transporting sugar from the blood to the tissues where it can be used as fuel. Sustaining high levels of insulin can cause insulin resistance, which reduces its effectiveness and leads to high blood sugar and diabetes.
- Apple cider vinegar can promote heart health by helping to keep cholesterol levels low. An animal study out of Iran showed that supplementing rats with apple cider vinegar could reduce bad LDL cholesterol while also increasing beneficial HDL cholesterol.
- Lowers blood pressure – studies show that the vinegar blocked the actions of a specific enzyme that raises blood pressure.
- Improves and supports skin health – treating acne and reducing scarring, its antibacterial and healing properties it kills of strains of acne-causing bacteria.
- Relieves acid reflux – Drink before meals, this introduces more acid into the digestive tract to prevent acid backflow – I have seen huge success in my clinic with this!!
- Supports candida and fungus – like athlete’s foot, toenail fungus and jock itch ingest and apply topically.
- Boosts gut health – increasing immunity and an improved ability to digest and absorb nutrients – take 1-2 tablespoons daily
- Can be used as a household cleaner – diluted, it’s anti-bacterial properties are perfect for killing off germs.
- Treats warts –soak cotton wool in Apple cider vinegar apply topically and leave overnight, repeat a few times and the wart should fall off.
- Aids detoxification – used on my retreats, balancing pH, encourages lymphatic drainage
- There is also research out there confirming the benefits of apple cider vinegar for weight loss. In one study, consuming just two tablespoons per day of apple cider vinegar over 12 weeks resulted in nearly 2kg of weight loss with no other modifications to diet or lifestyle.
- Boosts immunity and relieves hay-fever and seasonal allergies, 2 tablespoons diluted daily.
- Wash your non-organic fruit and veg in water with a capful of apple cider vinegar to help release toxins.
To maximize the apple cider vinegar benefits, you should pick an organic, raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar whenever possible. It should also be murky with the mother still intact (labelled “with mother”) to get the maximum nutritional value. I buy mine in Britvid, Santa Catalina.
Always dilute it, rather than drinking it straight, to avoid tooth enamel erosion and any burning in the throat, Also using it topically on sensitive skin dilute it first, I would recommend a maximum of 3 tablespoons a day.